Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pile o' Sticks

I promise that a picture post will come soon...problem is, I can't get my memory card to upload pictures onto my work computer anymore :) Therefore, I have to do it from home!

So anyways. Two Sunday nights ago I flew home from Phoenix, got in around 11 p.m. and was exhausted from the long weekend. I pretty much passed out right away and woke up to Charlie crying around 4 a.m. G wasn't budging so I sat up in bed, looked at Charlie and realized he was dry heaving. So I grabbed him, realized we weren't going to make it outside and set him on the kitchen TILE floor. Well a couple of dry heaves later Charlie takes off running behind the couch and pukes. So I run to get the carpet cleaner and a rag, Charlie runs off to the other corner and pukes AGAIN. Long story short, each of these pukes has sticks and wood in them and he ends up throwing up 6 times within about an hour and a half. :( Poor baby. I was freaking out because Carrie and I had just talked about how her vet or someone told her to not let Bailey eat sticks bc they can get lodged in their throats, intestines, etc and that sticks can potentially pierce a dog's stomach lining causing them to bleed on the inside.

So I finally fall back to sleep for a little bit, call the vet and explain to her that my dog has thrown up 6 times in the past couple of hours and that all of the pukes had sticks in them. She got very stern and said, "You need to bring him in, that is not good at all." Ughhhhhh. This just freaked me out even more so I threw on some clothes and Garett and I took him in. They said they wanted to keep him so that they could monitor him and do some xrays and bloodwork if needed. We ended up picking him up around 3:15 p.m. and were told that his colon was completely full, they did xrays and nothing was too large to not pass, and they did a fecal float and it was FULL of sticks and bacteria so they were putting Charlie on an antibiotic for 5 days and for us to just keep an eye on him. So, $255 later our little puppy had 5 pills and was apparently going to be OK :( You know the saying, "Live & Learn." Doesn't apply to dogs because that very night when we went outside Charlie decided to try and eat every stick and leaf in sight. All I can say is, that can't feel good coming out the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment